RSS Feed

Executive Board

photo (1)

Olivia Wold // Co-President

GRADUATION YEAR: 2014
MAJOR: History
MINOR: Political Science

WHY I JOINED GLOBEMED:

I initially joined GlobeMed my sophomore year because I was looking for a “volunteer” experience at Middlebury, and was drawn to making an impact on a global level. However, the more I learned about the GlobeMed mission and the more my mind was blown by ghU discussions- basically, the more I understood what made GlobeMed waydifferent than just volunteering, I was completely hooked. GlobeMed has plugged me into the movement towards social justice and health equity by not only helping me educate myself about crucial issues in global health, but by providing the opportunity to join with GHI in an incredible partnership where both parties can feel empowered by making an impact in the others’ community. It also doesn’t hurt that the members of GlobeMed at Middlebury are incredibly inspiring, intelligent, good-natured and fun people that I love spending time with.

WHAT I’M PASSIONATE ABOUT:

• I love the exploration and excitement of travelling, and I try to bring that to “normal” life by seeking out new spots or experiences wherever I am.
  • Admiring awesome art and design- modern art museums and creative interior design are my favorites!
  • On a similar note, I have a handful of blogs that I read religiously and keep meaning to start one of my own.
  • While I can’t claim to be an avid outdoorswoman, I do love spending time outside—particularly biking, hiking and running!
  • I live in pursuit of the perfect nacho and can’t get enough of good food and fun restaurants.

CAREER ASPIRATIONS:

I aspire to work at an organization that contributes to solving a social problem in a creative and effective way—whether it’s at a nonprofit or working in corporate social responsibility, I am looking forward to a rewarding, challenging, and meaningful career! 

Image-300x300

Lindsay Boles // Co-President
GRADUATION YEAR: 2014
MAJOR: Neuroscience

WHY I JOINED GLOBEMED: 

My aspiration to become a doctor initially led me to sign up for GlobeMed because “med” was a part of the title.  After a few meetings though, my reasons for staying became clearer.  I love that GlobeMed is a group of students from various backgrounds and interests that are able to come together to achieve a common goal.  The power that we have a students and being part of a larger global health movement is inspiring and empowering.

WHAT I’M PASSIONATE ABOUT:

I grew up going to Colorado at least twice a year, which has led me to love being outdoors. Part of the reason I chose Middlebury is because I love to ski.  In addition to skiing, I enjoy reading, running, listening to music, and going on long drives around Vermont.

CAREER ASPIRATIONS:

I aspire to become a doctor, hopefully working with children.  I have spent two summers working as a research intern at Lurie Children’s Hospital of Chicago, which confirmed for me that I want to work with children in the future.  Upon graduating from Middlebury, I plan to work for a year (possibly in the global health field) while applying to medical school, which I hope to attend in Fall 2015.

Untitled

Andrew Wolfley // Global Health U Coordinator
GRADUATION YEAR: 2015.5
MAJOR: International and Global Studies with a focus in Geography, Latin America and Portugues
MINOR: Spanish

WHY I JOINED GLOBEMED:

I joined GlobeMed at Middlebury during my second semester. What gravitated me towards the organization was not only the fact that GlobeMed had created a highly effective network of passionate student activism on and off of my campus but that the larger network is committed to much smaller and local forms of development. Although I am a relatively new member of GlobeMed at Middelbury I believe in the power of local narratives when it comes to effectively understanding the disparities within our own sociocultural frameworks and GlobeMed does an incredible job of addressing these inequalities through its grassroots approach.

WHAT I’M PASSIONATE ABOUT:

I always find that this is a difficult question to respond to but if I had to choose one passion it would be food. I love eating food, cooking food, thinking about food, living through food, learning from food and the list goes on and on. We are all apart of unique food systems that don’t only tell us about were we get our food from but they can tell us about people. When we live through the food we eat, we learn about the communities around us and there’s nothing better than that.

CAREER ASPIRATIONS:

It’s still a work in progress but as long as I am able to learn from the communities around me and eat great cheese, I am more than certain that I will come to something.

Alyssa Palomba // Global Health U Coordinator
GRADUATION YEAR: 2014
MAJOR: Political Science
MINOR: Global Health and Physics

WHY I JOINED GLOBEMED:

My freshman year I didn’t really know a lot about global health.  I had always loved volunteering and fundraising and so I thought it might be fun to do with this organization.  After joining GlobeMed I knew I was apart of something really special.  Meetings are fun and you walk away with so many ideas, questions and a better understanding of global health. It was a fresh way to look at global health where the students believe that every person in this world has the right to health. And we don’t just believe it we try to make that happen. One of the most important reasons why I joined GlobeMed is because of the people in our chapter and in the national office. GlobeMed is filled with some of the most intelligent, passionate and inspiring people who feed off each other and I would be crazy not to want to be apart of that.

WHAT I’M PASSIONATE ABOUT:

• I am definitely passionate about Global Health. I am invested in helping people in a sustainable way.
  • I love to travel. It is so fun to explore news places and meet new people. One of my favorite parts about traveling is hearing peoples’ stories. Everyone comes from somewhere a little different and has an interesting story to tell.
  • I really love to play and coach lacrosse. I especially like coaching little kids they are so cute and they just enjoy every aspect of the game.

CAREER ASPIRATIONS:

I would like to work in Public or Global Health. I hope to after a few years in the field go to get my masters in public health.

561496_10151163407671242_386628455_n-300x300
Margaret Reed // Campaigns Co-Coordinator
GRADUATION YEAR: 2014
MAJOR: History
MINOR: Global Health, French

WHY I JOINED GLOBEMED:

I was originally drawn to GlobeMed because I wanted to pursue a career in medicine and had begun the pre-med track at Middlebury. After being a part of GlobeMed I started thinking that public health was a better avenue for me to contribute to world health issues. I took a global health class later that year and fell in love with it. Throughout my experience with GlobeMed, my interest in public health has grown immensely and I am hoping to make a career out of it after college!

WHAT I’M PASSIONATE ABOUT:

I am really passionate about global health but specifically education’s role in helping different public/global health issues.  I spent some time assistant teaching a high school general global health course this summer and it was really interesting to see what activities were effective and how the students reacted to different things.  I think education is such a great tool in global health and you can definitely see that through GHI’s work in Rwanda!

CAREER ASPIRATIONS:

I am definitely working on pursuing a career in global health but I want to either work on the business, fundraising side of the non-profit sector or I would like to find a way to incorporate my interests in educational initiatives into a global health career!

1150326_10151904217918465_1225555681_n
Cate Stanton // Campaigns Co-Coordinator
GRADUATION YEAR: 2015.5
MAJOR: Environmental Studies/Economics
MINOR: Geography

WHY I JOINED GLOBEMED:

I first joined GlobeMed because my friend did not want to go to the meetings alone. However, when I saw the passion and dedication members had for and to GlobeMed and Gardens for Health in addition to their knowledge about solution to global poverty and health inequities, I knew that I had to become a part of this organization.

WHAT I’M PASSIONATE ABOUT:

Reading about, studying and being a part of the fight for health equity, ballet (did ballet from ages three to 19), chai lattes and cheese (maybe even together), hiking on crisp fall days in Vermont, currently really into learning GIS (map making and analysis)

CAREER ASPIRATIONS:

Currently, I am very interested in working in the nonprofit consulting sector or for a foundation that works with and supports health, development and education initiatives. I would like find a career that allows me to play a role in changing the paradigm of international aid use and delivery, ensure that philanthropic dollars are being spent wisely and effectively, and also get involved in education reform.

Ellery Burke // Co-Director of Development
GRADUATION YEAR: 2014
MAJOR: Economics
MINOR: Math and Spanish

WHY I JOINED GLOBEMED:

The prospect of engaging in weekly discussions about some of the most pressing challenges of our time with a motivated and curious group of students drew me to GlobeMed. Our partnership with Gardens for Health International, our sustained commitment to self-education, campus awareness and innovation, and our incredible growth as a chapter have kept me around. GlobeMed provides students with an incredible opportunity to engage with their peers and with organizations at the front lines of global health initiatives, and I have been so lucky to be a part of it for four years!

WHAT I’M PASSIONATE ABOUT:

When I’m not hanging out with GlobeMed or thinking about global health, I like to hike, white-water raft, row (crew), play soccer and snuggle with my dogs. I am passionate about being outdoors, experiencing new things (especially in Spanish speaking countries), learning through non-traditional avenues and giving (time, empathy, hugs, support, love, etc.).

CAREER ASPIRATIONS:

I do not consider myself a typical economics major, but I do plan to begin my career as an analyst in the consulting world. I hope to hone my business acumen before attending graduate school – likely for a joint MBA and MPH (or MPP) – after which I plan to marry my business and global health interests in a career that is productive, proactive (about global health and environmental issues), and rewarding.

Olivia

Olivia Heffernan // Co-Director of Development
GRADUATION YEAR: 2015.5
MAJOR: Political Science
MINOR: Global Health and Philosophy

WHY I JOINED GLOBEMED:

I joined GlobedMed because I thought the topic of health as a human right was a very interesting and necessary one to address. In order for peace and justice to exist, the world’s inequalities, health being one of the more pressing ones, must be alleviated. I also liked the idea of having a partner because it made our work seem more valuable.

WHAT I’M PASSIONATE ABOUT:

Other than the values Globemed promotes, I am passionate about the study of the causes of human rights violations and the facilitation of peace and justice in an international context. I also love yoga, hiking, traveling, photography, vegetarianism and spending time with my friends and family.

CAREER ASPIRATIONS:

I have spent my summers volunteering in orphanages in the Philippines, schools in the slums of Nairobi, Kenya and Buddhist monasteries for Tibetan refugees in Nepal. I hope to use my invaluable experiences and Middlebury education to work for a non-profit that focuses on human rights protections and violations.

Kat James, Director of Finances
Graduation Year: 2014.5
Major: Joint Political Science and Geography
Minor: Global Health
Why I joined GlobeMed: I have been interested in the field of global health since high school, and I was thrilled to find an organization that promotes the education and support of global health and social justice initiatives through partnership and sustainability. I took part of my senior year off in high school to work for a USAID project and local hospital in Tanzania focusing primarily on maternal health issues, as well as spent my febmester interning at an NGO in India that promoted traditional medicine and women’s empowerment. GlobeMed’s mission intertwines the issues that I care deeply about within the context of my current education. GlobeMed gives students an opportunity to make a difference in the developing world. It frustrates me that, as an undergraduate student, I find it difficult to have an enduring impact on those whom I help. We don’t have medical degrees or MPH’s, and while students should volunteer, a week-long mission trip has few sustained implications on a struggling community. For me, GlobeMed’s partnership model was the solution to this dilemma. GlobeMed provides an opportunity for interested students to further educate themselves on global health inequalities in the developing world, while simultaneously partnering with an NGO, which supports sustainable and lasting projects.
Accomplishments:
-Medical Volunteer for Haydom Hospital in Tanzania
-Public Health internship for Jagran Vikas Samiti in Udaipur, India
-USAID Global Health Fellow II
-GROW Intern – Gardens for Health International, Rwanda, Summer 2012
Career Aspirations: I am hoping to have a career working in the field of Public Health as a GIS analyst. As a geography major, I hope to bring geo-technological skills such as the use of GIS to my global health work. GIS allows one to use computerized maps to attach information to locations. This technique aids in the geographic allocation of health resources, assessing a populations’ environmental health issues and in the monitoring of a populations’ response to health interventions.

Ryan Brewster, Director of Communications and Social Media
Graduation Year: 2014
Major: Molecular Biology/ Biochemistry
Minor: Spanish
Why I joined GlobeMed: The field of global health operates at the interface of so many seemingly disparate disciplines. I believe the threading together of medicine, economics, anthropology and so many other fields truly embodies the liberal arts framework. GlobeMed harnesses this multidimensional dynamic, and translates it to pragmatic solutions to global health inequities. While I was certainly drawn to GlobeMed’s holistic composition, it was the actual agents of change – the students – that made me passionate about global health. Under the banner of partnership and human rights, enthusiastic undergraduates have generated a meaningful campaign for social justice. The grassroots framework elicits an incredible amount of accountability and innovation from its members. Albeit humbled by the realities of the global health landscape, I am at the same time inspired to enact progress through the this model.
Accomplishments:
• College scholar
• Bicentennial Fund for Research Partnerships in the Sciences Fellow
• Published graphic artist
• Emergency Medical Technician (EMT)
• Nationally-ranked freestyle skier – Qualification for National Championships, Junior Olympics, U.S. Ski Team Selection Events
• First-Year Counselor (FYC)
• Tour guide
Career Aspirations: I am currently enrolled as a pre-medical student, with intentions of pursuing a career in orthopedic surgery. That being said, I hope to integrate these professional interests into the context of global health, whether it be in a domestic or international setting.

»

You must be logged in to post a comment.