THE HORSESHOE FARM FELLOWSHIP
Unique community based “Gap Year” opportunity for those interested in medicine, healthcare, community health, public health, or other community based service careers.
Students who are selected for this competitive one year (13 month) Fellowship will live in Greensboro, Alabama and will work alongside other outstanding “Horseshoe Farm Fellows” selected from around the country. Selected Fellows will have the opportunity to be directly involved in nearly all aspects of the leadership and management of this innovative community based non-profit organization and its service programs for children, mentally disabled adults, and elderly members of the community. Selected Fellows will also have the opportunity to:
* Learn about effective engagement with and work with a community. Learn how to effectively develop and lead social entrepreneurial initiatives in a community.
* Help lead, manage, and provide direct service in an innovative housing and companionship program for women with mental disorders.
* Help manage and run several mentoring, tutoring, and activities programs for children in the community.
* Help lead, manage, and develop programs for a new “Community Clubhouse” for vulnerable members of our community.
* Learn about (through weekly readings and discussions) health care systems issues including the structure and financing of the U.S. health care system, health care law and ethics, healthcare economics, the history of the U.S. health care system, and health policy.
* Work directly with M.D., M.B.A. physician who is Director and primary teacher in project and Fellowship. Have opportunity to work in and learn about rural community hospital settings, to shadow other physicians and health professionals, and learn about rural healthcare and health systems.
This opportunity is geared primarily to students with very strong leadership potential and with an interest in community based service careers (especially but not exclusively those interested in medicine or healthcare).
The Fellowship application & more information are available at www.projecthorseshoefarm.org The Fellowship application deadline is January 31, 2012.
You must be logged in to post a comment.