Want to help address community problems and create a legacy of social change for the Middlebury College campus? Apply for a position in the Middlebury College Alliance for Civic Engagement as a full-time AmeriCorps VISTA member for a one-year position from August 2009 through August 2010.
The Alliance for Civic Engagement seeks a dedicated individual to engage both the campus and community to support students’ involvement in community service. The ideal candidate will be familiar with campus- and community-connected work, have experience planning events, have excellent interpersonal and communication skills (written and verbal), and be able to maintain a delicate balance of leading, supporting, and stepping aside while students take initiative in response to community-identified needs.
Among other responsibilities, the VISTA member will:
* Continue to build upon existing relationships and cultivate new partnerships with community agencies and nonprofits in a coordinated effort to address issues of poverty and foster prosperity among more Addison County residents.
* Organize the fall and spring MiddAction Fairs.
* Provide trainings to interested students and student organization leaders providing a local context regarding poverty.
* Work closely with students on their service oriented initiatives.
* Advise the Volunteer Services Organization and help them plan weekly Saturday worksites, including supervising the student leaders who work in the ACE office.
* Assist as needed with the fall and spring mini MAlt trips (Vermont-based weekend versions of our alternative break trips program).
* Oversee the Martin Luther King Day of Service, as part of and in collaboration with the MLK Day programming committee.
Benefits Include: In addition to extensive professional development training, members receive a living/expenses stipend, health benefits, and can elect to receive an educational award of $4,725 to pay off existing student loans or finance future education.
Requirements: College degree; excellent communication skills; public speaking skills; desire to work with college students; a car and valid driver’s license; volunteer experience and a demonstrated commitment to service; leadership experience; and because it is a Federal program, US citizenship.
Questions? Contact Ashley Calkins ’06, current ACE VISTA, jcalkins<at>middlebury.edu, 802-443-3099. For more information visit www.middlebury.edu/ace.
Apply Today! Email a cover letter, résumé, and three names of references to Ashley Calkins (jcalkins <at> middlebury.edu).
You must be logged in to post a comment.