Bowdoin is doing something that might cause their NExpress items to behave weirdly in Millennium. If you encounter any weirdness, let me know. – Dan
We now have a dedicated printer, stocked constantly with blue paper, for printing the NExpress pull slips. It’s Lib250blue!
To add this printer to your computer, use the ‘start’ menu on your computer, select ‘Run’ and open: ‘\\bombay\lib250blue’
When printing NExpress slips just select this printer from the list of possible printers. After you have printed the NExpress pull slips you will need to collect the slips from the tower printer in Lib250c, the ILL work area behind the Circulation desk.
When you check-in a NExpress book, please put a check mark in the box on the blue band indicating it has been checked in and write your initials before putting the item on the NExpress cart. Thanks!
A reminder to READ the blue band as you are putting things on the holdshelf and look at where an item is supposed to be picked up by the patron. Armstrong is now an option, and I pulled 15 things from our holdshelf this morning that were supposed to be at Armstrong. Please remember to look at which location is circled. If Armstrong is circled, it goes on the Armstrong shelf, NOT our holdshelf.
Hi all, and welcome back to circ. Just a few notes about new stuff that you should know.
* ILL and NExpress can now be requested by the patron to pickup at Armstrong. So just watch when you are checking in a cart of ILL or NExpress to make sure they go on the correct shelf.
* Overdue items can now be renewed without a supervisor override. So if someone comes to the desk with overdue items, please feel free to renew them (ask the patron, of course…) This also means that patrons can renew overdue items via MIDCAT, and we should encourage them to do so.
* The flip side of this is that Reserves, Equipment, and ILL will all go to billed status as soon as they are overdue. This will block borrowing or renewing. The bill will be cleared when they return the item, but we will not override this billed status. (NOTE: This does not apply to 4-hour laptops which will not go to billed status immediately.)
* Replacement charges have dropped slightly and we will no longer be accepting patron replacements of lost items.
* Most of our old paper forms are now online.
* We no longer provide Microsoft Office 03/04. We may, in the near future, have a few install discs for Office 07, but we should be encouraging people to download from Middfiles instead.
I think those are the major things. Have a great year!
As you have all noticed by now, paging and retrieval is in full swing! Lots of questions yesterday about correct procedure for processing, so here is a (not so) brief overview, all you ever wanted to know about paging slips! :-).
Please refer questions/concerns to Kellam or Dan. Thanks!
Retrieving library materials to fill requests for NExpress, ILL, MiddCampus, Davison (Breadloaf), Mills (California) etc.
* Process paging slips in the Mill Circ Notice system (mnotices/mnotices) A minimum of 3 times daily – morning, early afternoon, and evening – or more frequently to ensure timely request processing and delivery
* Davis Family Stacks: In the absence of Stacks, ILL will retrieve; if ILL unable to pick up by 2 pm, Circ will retrieve
* Incorporate BLSE/Davison Library requests into existing Midd, NExpress, and ILL paging and retrieval workflow
* BLSE requests have priority over main campus hold requests
* NExpress requests have top priority over everything
* Check daily that items for Bread Loaf/Davison Library are not placed on the Davis Family Library hold shelf (especially critical this year due to the Davis Family Libary name change at Main)
* Sort all paging slips by branch location and type of request (Midd or NExpress)
* Place all pending requests in clear sleeve on red NExpress cart in ILL work area
* Fax paging slips to branches for retrieval
Armstrong fax – 2016
Music fax – 2332
* Branches: items for BL borrowers will go in transit when scanned at branches; send to Davis Family Library in courier bin; scan/check in at the Davis Family Library; place items in Davison bin.
* For items being held at main campus locations – follow standard procedures and check in to generate hold or transit status
* Double check pick-up location – do not use borrower address on paging slip as pick-up location
Davison Requests Workflow
* Sort out all requests going to BLSE
* Retrieve items
* Check carefully for pick-up location – some BL borrowers may request pick-up at other locations
* Do not send items for pick-up at Davis Family Library (or Arm or Mus) to Davison
* Fold paging slip in half lengthwise, insert into book. Place in Davison courier bin for delivery to Davison hold shelf – items will have “in transit” status (leave paging slip in item; you do not need to print transit slip – items will be scanned in and a hold slip printed at pick-up location)
* Items that cannot be requested through the web: On reserve; In-lib-use and non-circulating collections; items with hold location Davison Library (BL borrower may retrieve from shelves; priority is given to BL borrowers for Davison materials; exceptions can be made by Circ staff through the Mill Circ client); Checked-out – do not recall if at all possible – advise borrower to place a request through NExpress or ILL if unavailable
* Requested through NExpress by borrower
* NExpress requests for delivery to Davison will be delivered to Davis Family Library Circ with all other ILL and NExpress materials
* Davis Family Library Circ will separate out Davison items; follow standard procedure for scanning and dating
* Place in transit to Davison
* Requested through ILLiad by borrower with a pick-up location of Davison
* ILL requests for delivery to Davison will be delivered to Davis Family Library Circ for scanning/check-in with all other ILL and NExpress materials
* Davis Family Library Circ will separate out Bread Loaf items; follow standard procedure for scanning and verifying item records etc.
* Place hold on Bread Loaf ILL items @ Davis Family Library Circ in patron record (verify that you are in the correct borrower account) and stamp/write today’s date on green band (so we can track when it was placed on the hold shelf at Davison). When the item is checked in to generate the hold, it will then go in-transit up to Davison. Place it in the bin for Davison.
* Borrower will be notified by ILLiad e-mail and Millennium email (once it is checked-in at Davison).
Requests not filled:
* Not on shelf – missing: Call up by barcode in search/hold. Verify that you are in the correct record. Click on hold tab. Highlight hold. Select option to cancel hold. Select option to cancel hold and mark missing. Select appropriate cancellation notice. Requester will be notified through the notice system
CMC: Curriculum Materials Collection *Non-circulating: Refer to Education Studies Dept, Twilight Hall for exceptions
CSO: Career Service Office
Music and Armstrong Requests
* Sort and fax paging slips to branches for retrieval
* Retrieve and check in at branch to generate transit status. Send item to Davis Family Library for delivery to Davison
* Requests from the branches will arrive in the courier bins for delivery to Davison
Items requested for pickup at Mills – Summer session only
* Any paging slip with a pickup location of Mills should follow this procedure
* If item is not on shelf, a standard cancellation notice will be generated by Main Circ and the item status will be changed to “missing”
* If item is on shelf, item is pulled, and then checked in, which will put the item in transit to Mills. Paging slip is placed in the item.
* Circ will cancel the hold using the new Mills hold cancellation notice. This will alert the patron at Mills that the item will be shipped to them shortly.
* Item is placed RUSH on Cataloging shelf @ Main Circ
(Circ’s involvement ends at this point; CM and LS Liaison evaluate item for transfer or ILL; if replacement item is available, item will be transferred to the Midd at Mills campus collection; Cataloging will edit and mask bib record; add 949 field – which creates an item record at Mills; item will be visible in client (loc omill), but not in MidCat; ILL will ship; if replacement item is not available, SKIP step 3; item will be processed as an ILL, shipped by ILL, and returned to Midd campus
* Meet Bread Loaf courier to exchange incoming/outgoing bins
* May or may not have been checked in @ Davison Library
* Check in @ Davis Family Library to clear transit status
* Continue to transit to branches
* Re-shelve TO CORRECT HOLDING AREA/BRANCH
Davison Library Reserves
* If returned to Main Campus, please send back up to Davison immediately
Courier Schedule between Davis Family Library and Davison
* Mon – Fri: Approximately 9:30 am (leaves BL at 9 am) and 2:00 pm (leaves BL at 1:30 pm)
* Sat and Sun: Approximately 9:30 am (leaves BL at 9 am)
Deliver bins IMMEDIATELY to the back SHIPPING & RECEIVING AREA when the BL courier calls the Main Circ Desk
Open & meet the courier at the shipping/garage door and trade incoming/outgoing bins
For more detailed info about Bread Loaf/Davison Library procedures check here.
Did you know?
Students from our NExpress partner libraries – Williams, Bowdoin, Bates, Colby, Northeastern, Wellesley – can borrow directly from Midd with their home school ID and Midd students can borrow directly from NExpress partner schools with their Midd ID.
Please refer questions to a supervisor. The check-out mode is in the NExpress module of Mill Circ. Select the home school and type in the ID number, verify that you are in the correct borrower record, check-out as usual.
The different colored bands around library materials that we borrow from other libraries can be really confusing! Each color has to be handled a little differently.
Here is a Quick Guide to What Each Color Band Means:
Green Band = ILL; in borrower account, scan barcode on band; change due date at check-out to match the date on the band; if you don’t do this the borrower will get an overdue notice before the book is due back; renewals can be requested by the borrower by contacting ILL staff at firstname.lastname@example.org; when returned, check-in and place on ILL/NExpress returns cart
Blue Band = NExpress; in borrower account, scan barcode on item; system generates due date; write the due date on the band; can be renewed X2; when returned, check-in and place on ILL/NExpress returns cart
Pink Band = ILL In-Library-Use only; in borrower account, scan barcode on band; change due date to match the date on the band; when returned, check-in and place back on the hold shelf; this helps prevents it from being sent back to the owning library prematurely
Supervisors – please check the ILL/NExpress cart regularly for pink bands and re-shelve on the hold shelf (check-in first)
Let us know if you have any questions!