Meeting Notes

Circ meeting minutes 9/24/15

* Dan gave update on carrel situation (about 60 still available). Will open to juniors and seniors Monday.
* Update on panic button estimate
* Microfilm machine is acting up again
* Kim reports the students are good, the schedule is set
* Shawn has only hired one student, Armstrong schedule is also set
* Janine deleted the mini LCD as it is unrepairable
* Students are leaving the building at closing, PS is more present at closing
* Shawn needs some more retina chargers – Janine will provide
* Shawn will plan a student lunch meeting
* Kellam reports that reserves are looking good
* Dan will check to see if he can edit the Bike Shop website. (he can’t) Until we hear differently, direct all bike inquiries to the bike shop.

Circ meeting 8-27-15

• Students-only at Armstrong Friday
• Kellam
o BLWC reserves are still up – Kellam will clear next week
o Fall term prep is going well
o The Docutech server upgrade is expected to happen before classes start
o Kellam will do the BL report and send out a feedback request soon
• Dan
o Language in motion workshop in October – participants eligible for guest borrower card
o Panic button installation proposal hitting speed bumps with facilities – Dan is working on it
o No word from the bike shop about bikes
o We will start to think about carrels soon
• Todd
o The shelving for DVDs is being installed – waiting on the actual shelving to arrive
o Do we allow alums to borrow DVDs? NO.
• Janine
o Putting together a bunch of equipment to give to Armstrong
o Dan will check on dongles that went to BL
• Kim
o Full schedule – just two empty shifts right now
o Supervisor meeting re. student legal stuff – good meeting
o Welcome email coming soon to students
o ePAFs will be done after Labor Day
• Nancy
o 4 open shifts at Armstrong
• Other
o The Kims are swapping Tuesdays and Saturdays for the Fall
o VCAL update from Terry (That’s President Terry to you)
o Dan will check with PS about making sure IDs swipe before Fall starts
o Anyone working Labor Day? NO.

Circ meeting 6-4-15

Present: Terry, Will, Kim A., Shawn, Nancy, Todd, Rachel, Kim G., Janine, Dan

– Head’s up about Jason’s summer course: 2 weeks, everyone is in Millennium and will presumably have ID cards, so no one should notice, but FYI.
– Reminder to ask for ID cards – we get lax as the semester goes on – still need to REQUIRE IDs.
– Discussion about supplies that we supply to students. The bottom line is that we will supply 4 things: tape, staplers (with staples), dry-erase markers, scissors. Everything else they will need to procure for themselves.
– Any ideas about how to deal with squatters? We will add language to the written agreement along the lines of – if there is a squatter, feel free to ask circ staff to ask them to leave. But YOU (the borrower) are still responsible for clearing everything out of your carrel. We will mention this to them verbally at check out, as well.
– Proxy cards for faculty – Dan will add an option on the web form that would allow the proxy to check things out directly onto the faculty account, rather than a separate proxy account. They will need to accept the possibility that we will not be able to tell who checked out what. The default will still be separate accounts unless this is checked.
– Long-term laptops for students. Long discussion. Resolution: PC laptops will be – with supervisor override – checked out for two week loan periods to students. Dean intervention is not required. When they’re gone, they’re gone. Mac laptops will continue to be library use only. No exceptions.

Circ meeting minutes from 1-22-15

Mike Roy joined us.
A brief discussion about the future of Armstrong.
A discussion about the future of ERes. Kellam will write something up and submit to the directors.
Dan gave an update from the Intota conference call
Reminder that evaluations are coming up – probably take place in February
Kim Ammons is now covering Saturdays. Kim Gurney is now Monday-Friday
Janine will send out the active threat summary she wrote up
Kellam updated us about the BL Inn renovation
Spring semester hiring is underway.

Circ meeting minutes 10-30-14

Present: Dan, Kellam, Terry, Todd, Lexa, Janine, Kim, Nancy

* Short dongle presentation by Danielle Madison. Janine will make up a visual cheat sheet to hang on the storage cabinet.
* Janine went over the summary of Active Threat safety proposals based on procedures at other NEXpress schools. Ideas include a panic button at circ, having student EMTs wear some kind of identifier while in the library, and a camera at the entrance to the building. Terry will look into the possibility of closing to the public earlier (card access). We should also look into more advanced First Aid training.
* Dan asked if there was any reason not to have a 3-day loan for camcorders and tripods. General agreement that that would be fine. Dan will work on loan rules.
* Short discussion on values to give to Terry and the directors. Patience, Calmness, Responsiveness, Follow through, Consistency, respect.

Circ meeting minutes 8-28-2014

Present: Nancy, Rachel, Todd, Kim, Janine, Kellam, Dan

Dan gave a list of updates that people should know before Fall:

* update on the circ sub pool and possibilities moving forward
* Print cash cards are coming back
* Carrels are ready to go the second Tuesday of the semester – signs will be posted. No changes to the procedure from last Fall
* Student schedule is largely set, will need to hire a couple
* Microsoft office is no longer available on disc to install. Send people to the Helpdesk or go/getoffice
* 105 is being renovated as the new video conferencing room. Most work will be done during J-term (tentative)
* Lights are still broken. Hopefully fixed before Fall.
* Kim and Janine will work Labor Day. That’s about it.
* Dan thinks he may have figured out a “due at closing” loan rule.” Will test once we are open till 1.
* That’s all. Picnic time.

Circ meeting 5-22-14

– Dan gave a brief update on the FMMC equipment meeting he attended this week – nothing was decided and Dan will keep everyone posted.

– Bike update: Bikes are done for the semester and will not continue over the summer. May return in the Fall.

– Overall, the semester went very well. Students were good, reserves survived without Kellam.

– 24/7 – security company has not impressed of late, we will plan to collect student cell numbers to hand out to overnight workers.

– All circ staff will be signing a confidentiality agreement. Dan will send out.

– Kellam reports that Tuesday 6/17 is the BL pickup date for facilities. We will probably go up to set up on Thursday 6/19.

– NExpress seems to be past the bumps created by the lack of server upgrades midway through the semester. Still a few straggler items coming through.

– Reshelving is looking better than it ever has at this time. Carrel returns are more work (checking each one in person) but ultimately worth it.

– No update on Armstrong situation.

Circ meeting 4-17-14

– All agree that the LS dictionary display from last summer should be repeated. Dan will let Carrie know.

– Dan gave an update on the bikes. An email will come out next week to all campus. At that point, we can start giving them out (if patrons have a bike sticker on their ID, for liability purposes). We only check the keys in and out – all inquiries to the bike shop.

– Dan asked if anyone wanted to work at BL. Let Dan know. Dan will inquire about a BL student who will work in the library.

– Kellam comes back May 1st.

– Dan will provide a link to PCI info. A PCI audit will be happening some time in the future, so all staff should be prepared to answer questions about this, if asked.

– A discussion about equipment and patrons claiming all the parts were not included at check out. A suggestion was made to have a form that patrons sign agreeing that they have everything. Dan will think about this. For now, staff will be more diligent at check-in to make sure everything is there and we will be more adamant with patrons that everything was there at check out, based on the fact that it was there at check in. Janine will also check booked items to make sure everything is there beforehand.

– Discussion about laptops. DECISION MADE: STUDENT LAPTOPS WILL STAY IN THE BUILDING. We will security strip them. A message will pop-up at checkout. Students will be notified. We will change the actual loan rule in the summer (so they will still be due back tomorrow) but they will need to stay in the library.

– Todd reports that the PQ’s have been shifted so that all the French literature is now in the right hand row (looking at the back).

– Armstrong update. We don’t know anything other than they are thinking about that space.

– The cafe will be open 24/7 during 24/7, for at least part of it.

– Dan has arranged for a security guard during 24/7.

– Dan met with Public Safety to discuss options for getting people out of the building at closing. May start imposing fines, may install cameras. Public safety will get back to us. For now, we will not do anything different in our procedure.

Monthly circ meeting 1-22-14

Present: Janine, Kim, Nancy, Shawn, Kellam, Dan

Janine made a delicious cake to celebrate Kellam and her impending doom. leave. (sorry – impending just seems to be naturally followed by “doom”.)
Dan reminded everyone about evaluations. Keep them short and sweet. Please get them to me in the next two weeks.
Dan told everyone the reserves plan when Kellam leaves. Dan will be the mailbox guy and print reserves, Megan will be EREs. Nancy will cover in April when Dan is out. Terry will be the copyright resource.
Dan gave a quick bike update – we have the locks, no one wants bikes right now.
Dan and Janine gave a quick overview of the new laptops, including the new cleaning procedure for the PCs.
Carrel day reminder – 2nd Tuesday in Spring term at 8 am
Kim reports she has hired new students and they are shadow training, may need to hire one more for Spring.
Shawn is heading to NERCOMP conference today
Nancy has given up on Bicentennial Hall. She will always have frost on her windows.
Kellam has reserve lists ready to be pulled. Reserves may be a bit wonky for a week or so as Winter ends and Spring starts.
The compact shelving is mysteriously and shockingly working.
The stacks at Armstrong still need to be oiled.