The Center for Careers and Internships and the Middlebury Professional Networks are partnering to provide a fully donor-funded “Student Innovation Trek” to the San Francisco Bay Area over February break. The objective is to expose students interested in all areas of innovation to real-world professional experiences that will enable them to apply their liberal arts learning while informing their career exploration and other post-graduate planning.
The Student Innovation Trek experience is open to all sophomores, juniors, and seniors. It will include 10 students competitively selected through the application process described below, with strong preference given to students who receive financial aid as per the request of the donor. Students will travel to San Francisco as a group, departing from Burlington on Sunday, February 3rd, and returning on Friday, February 8th, accompanied by a CCI advisor. To help ensure that there is no barrier to participation, all travel, lodging, meals, and related expenses will be paid.
This immersive “living and learning” experience will be organized around job-shadowing opportunities with alumni at companies like Tesla, Genentech, IDEO and more. The experience will also include reflection dinners and career conversations with other select alumni. Students will travel and live together as a cohort and attend an Innovation Summit as part of the experience.
Students will document the Innovation experience with photos and reflections. In addition, attendance is required at 2-3 pre-departure meetings during Winter Term.
Application Process and Requirements:
- Apply via Handshake; the deadline is 11:55 p.m. on Sunday, October 28th, no exceptions.
- The Innovation Student Trek is open to all sophomores, juniors, and seniors of any major (graduation dates between May 2019-May 2021 only).
- Strong preference will be given to students who receive financial aid.
- Strong candidates will be able to demonstrate a desire for a future career in innovation through their coursework and/or activities.
- Students must be in Vermont on Saturday, February 2nd, for a Sunday, February 3rd, departure to San Francisco. The group must travel together from and to Burlington, no exceptions.
- Students must be on campus during Winter Term to attend two mandatory pre-departure meetings.
Please submit a resume, transcript (unofficial is okay), and a cover letter that includes:
- Your name, year, and major(s).
- The name and contact information for a faculty or staff reference who can speak to your interest in innovation and your ability to contribute to a group dynamic.
- A minimum of 750 words that describes:
- What you believe you would learn from this experience and why this trip would prove invaluable,
- How it relates to courses you have taken and activities in which you have been involved, and
- How it might impact your post-Middlebury College plans.
We may request personal or group interviews for some students.
**Note: In applying to the Innovation Student Trek, you are making a full commitment to go if accepted**
We aim to have a decision to you by Friday, November 16th.