Have you heard about the new student competition called JUMP into STEM?
JUMP into STEM is a new STEM online crowdsourcing platform that poses technical challenges for innovative and energy saving building technology solutions. Students (undergraduate and graduate) with the best online submissions will compete in a final event for up to 6 paid 10-week Summer 2019 internships at Oak Ridge National Laboratory and the National Renewable Energy Laboratory. Students must meet eligibility requirements for the Building Technologies Minority Serving Institutions Program (BTMSIP) or the Higher Education Research Experience (HERE) program.
Team submissions are encouraged. The third and final challenge is open until February 8, 2019. The challenges are focused on: how to influence homeowner decisions to optimize their energy use; new methods to identify fault detection and diagnosis in buildings; and product solutions for retrofitting residential building wall systems.
Students may participate individually or in teams. During the challenge judging review process, the JUMP team and DOE will pay particular attention to consideration of teaming criteria that includes team diversity requirements:
- Representation by more than two or more academic departments
- Representation by women and/or minority students
- Demonstrated contributions by all team members
Idea submitters should also review the HERE and BTMSIP application criteria to ensure eligibility for competing in the Finalist event.
- Join them at ASHRAE on January 12! Meet with representatives from Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) and the National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) to hear more about JUMP into STEM. This event is being held in Atlanta, GA on Saturday, January 12, 2019, from 10:30 a.m.-12:30p.m. ET before the 2019 ASHRAE Winter Conference Student Program starts. Pizza and drinks will be provided. Registration is required.
- Last Chance to Compete for Summer 2019 Paid Internships at ORNL and NREL! Undergraduate and graduate students can submit their best ideas to the Round 3 Challenge: Pushing the Envelope with Wall Retrofit Designs.
- Register for Industry Expert Webinar: Industrializing Net Zero through RetrofitNY, Jonathan Benezry, NYSERDA. Date: December 11, 11am to 12noon ET.
Learn more about JUMP into STEM Challenges here.