Are you a first-year or sophomore who is interested in the financial services industry? The boot camp will provide you with a thorough exploration of the industry, the participants in the industry, and the myriad of career paths available.
You will learn the difference between the Sell Side and the Buy Side, including the role of the investment banker, capital markets, asset management, hedge funds, private equity, private wealth management, and supporting functions. You will walk away with an understanding of financial terminology, roles within the industry, and confidence to help you build your network.
The boot camp will be facilitated by Stephanie Hockman who brings over 20 years’ experience in the financial services industry. She is currently Program Director for Careers in Business and Finance at Loeb Center for Career Exploration and Planning at Amherst College. Prior to her current role, she worked at BNP Paribas as a Managing Director in Global Equities and Commodity Derivatives (“GECD”) leading teams in New York, London and Hong Kong as well as leading the internship and analyst/associate programs. Prior to BNP Paribas, Stephanie was a Principal and head of relationship management at Banc of America Securities. Stephanie started her career at Arthur Andersen as a tax consultant after earning her Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) and Master in Professional Accounting (MPA) at The University of Texas at Austin.
Where: MBH 216
When: Sunday, November 3, 2019
Time: 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Space is limited and first-years and sophomores have priority. If you are a junior or senior who is interested in attending, please email UOlender@middlebury.edu to request that you be added to a wait list.
Check out these two opportunities that look pretty intriguing. Maybe you’re an IPE major or have an interest in security or international relations. These could be the ticket!
Research Analyst at Camstoll Group
The Camstoll Group is a tight-knit, fast-growing information services and technology company. The company is based in Los Angeles and Washington, DC. We provide outsourced intelligence and analysis services to entities facing complex policy, regulatory, or competitive landscapes. Leveraging our proprietary deep research techniques, The Camstoll Group provides governments, financial institutions, and multinational corporations with practical, actionable solutions to the most complex issues they face. We empower our clients with complete situational awareness so that they see more clearly, manage risk more effectively, and ultimately make better decisions.
We are seeking full-time research analysts to conduct open-source research on a variety of international security, foreign affairs, and illicit finance issues. More details and APPLY HERE.
Research Associate at Franklin Templeton Investments
Franklin Templeton Investments is a leading global investment organization. With over 9,500 employees working in 35 countries around the world to service over 200 investment strategies, we offer an exceptional range of diverse career options.
We are currently looking for a Research Associate to join the Templeton Global Macro group in San Mateo, CA. The team conducts in-depth global macroeconomic analysis regionally and at the individual country level, evaluating interest rates, currencies, and credit conditions. Team members meet daily to discuss ongoing market activity and macroeconomic indicators, as well as political events. The team applies a fundamental, research-driven investment approach that focuses on identifying sources of high current income worldwide that has the potential to provide compelling risk-adjusted returns. Research into specific Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) factors, combined with the fundamental macroeconomic analysis, is integral to the decision-making process.
Learn more and APPLY HERE.
‘Tis the season to apply for Summer 2020 finance internships and other experiential learning opportunities for diversity and inclusion programs. The following opportunities are currently posted in Handshake. APPLY EARLY! Interviews are offered on a rolling basis, usually before a deadline passes! Positions may be removed from Handshake before a deadline occurs.
- dbAchieve Programs, Deutsche Bank
- Asia Pacific Summer Analyst Program, JP Morgan Chase
- DWS dbAchieve Program, Deutsche Bank
- Wealth Management dbAchieve Program, Deutsche Bank
- CIB: Credit Summer Analyst, TD Securities HOT INTERNSHIP
- Real Estate Intern, Savills HOT INTERNSHIP
- Finance Intern, Qualtrics
- Summer Intern, NERA Economic Consulting
- Intern, Crestone Capital
- Global Research Intern, Eaton Vance
- Research Intern, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis
- Summer Real Estate Private Equity Intern, Brickman
- Analyst Intern, Advantage Capital
- Portfolio Management Intern, Starwood Capital Group
- Tech Summer Analyst, PIMCO
- Financial Analyst, WS Development
- Winter Term Analyst, Metrus Energy HOT INTERNSHIP
- Winter Term Financial Analyst, Focus Advisory Services HOT INTERNSHIP
- Research Associate Intern, AllianceBernstein
- Real Estate Private Equity Intern, Brickman
- E-Commerce Associate Intern, Wayfair
- Finance Internship, Dow Jones & Co.
- Investment Banking Summer Analyst, Morgan Partners
- Professional Internship, The Walt Disney Company
- Summer Analyst, Incentrum Group
- Sophomore Career Exploration Program, PIMCO
- Wealth Management Summer Analyst-LatAm, Deutsche Bank, Deutsche Bank
- Sales, Trading and Structuring Summer Analyst, Deutsche Bank
- Sophomore Program, Girls Who Invest HOT INTERNSHIP
- Private Equity Summer Analyst, Audax Group HOT INTERNSHIP
- Various Positions, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco
- Finance Intern, Gartner
- Business Reporting Intern, Dow Jones News Fund
- Strategy, Business Development & Investor Summer Intern, Voya Financial
- Intern, NISA Investment Advisors
- Corporate Development Intern, Axel Johnson Inc. HOT INTERNSHIP
- Global Finance & Business Management Analyst, JPMorgan Chase
- Credit Investment Research Intern, Eaton Vance
- Summer Intern, Point72
- Summer Analyst, AGC Partners HOT INTERNSHIP
- Summer Finance Intern, Unilever
- Hedge Fund Summer Intern, SG Capital Partners
- Libra Global Business Intern, Libra Group
- Financial Management Scholarship Program, FDIC Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation
- Various Positions, Greystone & Co.
- Summer Analyst, Abdiel Capital
- Hedge Fund Summer Analyst, Shelter Growth Capital Partners
- Broker Relations Summer Intern, Point72
- Global Equity Research Intern, Neuberger Berman
- Global Liquidity and Cash Management Summer Intern, HSBC Bank
- Global Private Banking Inern, HSBC Bank
- Investment Research Intern, Acadian Asset Management HOT INTERNSHIP
- Global Business Development Intern, Compass Group
- Strategy and Business Development and Investor Relations Summer Intern, Voya Financial
The following opportunities are currently posted in Handshake. APPLY EARLY! Interviews are offered on a rolling basis, usually before a deadline passes! Positions may be removed from Handshake before a deadline occurs.
- Analyst, Payden & Rygel (on-campus interviews) HOT JOB
- Complianc Coordinator, Indus Capital Partners
- Commercial Banking Analyst, JPMorgan Chase & Co.
- Strategic Equity Solutions Analyst, BNP Paribas
- Research Assistant, Center on Budget and Policy Priorities
- Private Equity/Real Estate Placement Agent-Analyst, Mercury Capital Advisors
- Economic Research Associate, Federal Reserve Bank of St Louis
- Commercial Real Estate Junior Broker, Savills HOT JOB
- Emerging Leader Program, Fidelity Investments HOT JOB
- Anti-Financial Crime Investigator, Deutsche Bank
- Analyst, Advantage Capital
- Chief of Staff to the CEO, Search Fund Accelerator
- Fixed Income Research Associate, Dodge & Cox
- Private Equity Analyst, Spectrum Equity
- Junior Research Analyst – Fintech/Personal Finance, ValueChampion
- Associate Program, AlphaSights
- Client Service Associate, Income Research + Management
- Client Service Associate, HighTower Advisors
- Director’s Financial Analyst, Consumer Financial Protection Bureau
- Client Service Coordinator, Thrivent
- Wealth Management Analyst, Brownson, Rehmus & Foxworth
- Sales Development Program Associate, Capital Group
- Various Positions, Fisher Investments
- Client Service & Support Specialist, Moody’s HOT JOB
- Financial Institution Specialist, FDIC
- Financial Advisor, Northwestern Mutual
- Analyst, Goldman Sachs
- Operations Analyst, Goldman Sachs
- Associate Development Program, Silicon Valley Bank HOT JOB
- Research Assistant, The Brookings Institution HOT JOB
- Research Associate, Global Macro, Franklin Templeton Investments HOT JOB
- Equity Trader Trainee, Chimera Securities
- Rotational Development Program, Jane Street
- Marketing & Investor Relations Associate, LDR Capital Management
- Analyst, AGC Partners HOT JOB
- Corporate Risk Solutions Analyst, BNP Paribas
- Analyst, Mariner Investment Group
- Private Equity Analyst, SCS Financial Services
- Corporate Infrastructure Finance Analyst, Nomura
- Client Service Associate, Edelman Financial Engines
- Private Equity Analyst, Endicott Group
- Corporate Infrastructure Finance Analyst, Nomura Securities
- Global Marketing Associate – Research, Fisher Investments
- Program Analysts – Legal & Compliance, Blackrock
- Treasury Associate, Point72
- Portfolio Associate, 1919 Investment Counsel
- Investment Banking Analyst, Marathon Capital HOT JOB
- Real Estate Debt Investment Analyst, SteepRock Capital
- Capital Markets Analyst, Berenberg Capital Markets
Here are the best things to pay attention to this week. Always check Handshake for the most up-to-date information.
October 25: Quandrant Strategies, Associate, JOB
October 31: AlphaSights, many jobs and internships
October 31: Lake Partners Strategy, Consulting Analyst JOB in Seattle.
October 31: McChrystal Group, Summer Analyst INTERN
October 21: QVARTZ, Business Analyst, JOB
November 1: Beacon Group, Consultant JOB
November 4: Mars & Co, Associate Consultant JOB.
November 8: ZS Associates, Financial Analyst Rotational Program JOB
Great short project for fall break!
Did you know that a completed Handshake profile makes applying for winter term internship credit, and summer internships MUCH easier? It is super easy to complete and also makes your profile more appealing to employers. A completed profile allows Handshake to share relevant opportunities to your feed based on your activity and interests.
Follow these steps to drive that Profile Level up to green!
- Login at middlebury.joinhandshake.com/login.
- Verify/update your MAJOR.
- Fill out your WORK EXPERIENCE.
- Add an ORGANIZATION and EXTRACURRICULAR ACTIVITIES.
- Add SKILLS, DOCUMENTS, COURSES, PROJECTS.
- Add a PROFILE PICTURE.
- Add at least 1 INDUSTRY.
- Add at least 1 JOB FUNCTION.
- Have your RESUME approved at CCI!
Our Peer Career Advisors are available to approve your resumes and help with Handshake questions at the following times:
- Monday-Friday in the CCI – 1:00-4:00 p.m.
- Mondays in the CCI – 7:00-9:00 p.m.
- Tuesdays in Davis Library – 7:00-9:00 p.m.
- Wednesdays in the Anderson Freeman Center – 7:00-9:00 p.m.
In partnership with the SGA, the CCI has developed a “Life Beyond Middlebury” series that aims to equip students with the tools needed to develop strong personal finance skills. Check out our upcoming events!
Tuesday, October 29 at 4:30 pm in Hillcrest 103
Which types of loans should I take out? How do I manage my loans after college? Financial experts are here to break down the loan process for you and any jargon you might be unfamiliar with. Join us to learn more about loans and become informed about making important student financial decisions! RSVP here.
Tuesday, November 5 from 4:30-6:00 pm in ADK Library
Statistics show that LinkedIn members with a photo receive far more engagement: 21 times more profile views and 9 times more connection requests! If you want to stand out, come to CCI to get a professional-grade head shot taken – for free! Don’t miss out on this incredible opportunity! RSVP here.
Establishing Healthy Credit
Tuesday, November 12 at 4:30 in Axinn 229
What does it mean to ‘build credit’? Why is it important? The National Bank of Middlebury will speak to Middlebury students and answer these questions, and more. RSVP here.
Guest Lecturer Bob Crowley ’94, Managing Director at Moelis & Co.
Professor of the Practice Frank Van Gansbeke welcomes all students to his class for this guest lecture.
Date: Thursday, October 17th
Time: 9:30 a.m.
Location: 75 Shannon Street 202
Bob Crowley is a Managing Director of Moelis & Company, and is responsible for Moelis’ residential real estate advisory business. He is also the head of the Boston Office of Moelis & Company, and was one of the original founding partners in 2007. Bob was previously Global Head of High Yield Capital Markets at UBS Investment Bank.
For nearly 25 years, Bob has been one of the leading investment bankers to the real estate sector. He is a frequent speaker on M&A, capital raising and restructurings at national homebuilding conferences, and is a former member of the Policy Advisory Board of the Joint Center for Housing Studies at Harvard University. In 2010, he was named to Investment Dealer’s Digest’s “40 Under 40” list.
Bob started his career at Salomon Brothers and worked at BankBoston before joining UBS. Prior to becoming an investment banker, Bob was a high yield research analyst covering the homebuilding/building materials sectors and was named to Institution Investor’s All Star list from 1998-2000.
Bob is a graduate of Middlebury College (1994), where he majored in International Politics & Economics. He is the former President and board member of Hill House Boston, the former President and current board member of the Franconia Ski Club, is current treasurer and board member of the Shady Hill School, and is currently a member of the audit committee and corporation of the Belmont Hill School.
As deadlines approach, please be sure to have your resume reviewed by a Peer Career Advisor and complete the Code of Conduct in Handshake (click on the Career Center tab>choose Surveys>Student Code of Conduct).
Mon., Oct. 14
- Oak Hill Advisors – Alternative Investment Firm, 7:00 p.m. in Hillcrest 103
Thur., Oct. 17
- Guest Lecturer Bob Crowley ’94, MD at Moelis & Co. – Corporate Restructurings: What to Do When Bad Balance Sheets Happen to Good Companies, 9:30 a.m. in 75 Shannon Street 220
Mon., Oct. 21
- NESCAC Info Session & Networking Event, 4:15 in Boston
Sun., Nov. 3
- Introduction to the Finance Industry, 9:00 a.m. in MBH 216
Check out the Finance Recruiting 101 Presentation to review this year’s process and use Handshake to schedule a career advising appointment to discuss your search strategy.
Four alums are highly interested in you joining their team at Cadent. See Hayley Howard’s ’17 profile below. Howard is joined by Justin Ernsting ’19 and Alex Smith ’18. Cynthia Keating, another Midd alum, is a managing partner.
Cadent Consulting Group is a data-driven sales and marketing consulting firm that helps clients accelerate the pace of growth and profitability through the strategic implementation of insights gleaned from our advanced data analytics. We work with clients such as manufacturers, retailers, and service providers across various industries, but with a focus on consumer packaged goods.
We are seeking an exceptionally talented self-starter with an entrepreneurial spirit and a creative edge that will fill the role of Business Analyst at our firm. The ideal candidate possesses an analytical background that enables them to interpret both quantitative and qualitative data to develop strategic sales and marketing insights that drive recommendations for our clients.
Check out the full details of the job here on Handshake. Deadline is October 20.
Keep reading to learn about the experience of Hayley Howard ’17:
“When I began my job search senior year, I knew I wanted to work at a company that would offer what I loved most about Middlebury: a close-knit community, the ability to learn something new every day, and exposure to a diverse array of projects that would challenge me in different ways. I have found all of this in Cadent. Every project offers the opportunity to learn about a new industry, work with different people, and fine tune skills such as data analysis, qualitative research, and public speaking. Working at a small company has meant that I was very quickly given a lot of responsibility, such as leading components of my projects and presenting to clients at major companies. I have also been able to leverage what I learned at Midd. As an economics major, it has been particularly rewarding to apply my knowledge of economic concepts when developing a pricing strategy, or build on my experience with econometrics when analyzing a dataset. Cadent offers the opportunity for a huge degree of professional development, making it a great place to work.”