Commencement Speech, Spring 2010- Honored and Scared

I was sitting in a workshop on the afternoon of April 23. It was a Friday.  All I could think about was how I would survive two more days of the workshop. My mind kept escaping to planning for the following weekend.  In the midst of my chaotic thought, suddenly Renata, my MBA classmate, popped up in the chat box: “congratulations, so you are speaking at graduation!” I was pretty sure that was not a question. “How do you know”, I asked. “Check your inbox”, Renata replied. Yep, here is the email from the Student Affairs Director Ashley Arrocha stating “’I am pleased to announce that your commencement speaker(s) will be the duo, Jonas Abel and Bulbul Ahammed.” It took me a while to settle down after absorbing this news.  I really enjoyed the moment. I wrote an email to my buddy Jonas, with whom I would speak as a duo in our graduation. The graduating class of 2010 elected us to speak on their behalf. Once the workshop was over, I called my wife, Laura, first.  She was super excited and assured me I would be fine despite my anxiousness of thinking about the real speaking part.  I am still surprised, and most of all, honored and thankful. This group of students is the most amazing group of people I have ever met. They are amazingly hardworking and great classmates and friends.  I would also like to take the opportunity to thank my MBA class for their enormous support and enthusiasm during the last two years of my service in representing them to the student council.

I am honored, but scared, excited, but lost, thinking of speaking in front of a thousand people. Jonas will be there at the stage as well, which is great, and that should help me not feeling my heart near to the throat during the speech. On May 22 in front of Historic Colton Hall I, along with Jonas, will open up to you and share our thoughts and enthusiasm.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.