Remembering Bob Prasch

From Will Pyle

Even though I’ve been traveling a good deal this year, I had just seen Bob several times in the weeks before his death. As we often tended to do when not discussing “business,” we talked west-coast sports. Seahawks and 49-er football. But much more frequently, A’s and Mariners baseball. Hours upon hours, I talked baseball with Bob. As Becky Gould put it, so aptly, I thought, in her column, Bob was always so “present” when he was with you and chatting. So happy to engage and spend time. So full of life. Bob was a wonderful colleague and a wise and kind mentor. I’ll miss everything about him. From his mirthful grin, to his disquisitions on (what to me seemed) obscure topics from economic history, to his often over-the-top characterizations of administrators and their motives.  On and on.  I’ll think of him every time I walk into the Library cafe where he so often held court, surrounded by students who loved and appreciated so much of what he had to offer. He was a one-of-a-kind. I consider myself blessed to have known him.

Will Pyle