“A MORAL ISSUE”
In the first Democratic Debate, Bernie Sanders insisted that climate change is the biggest national security threat to the United States. He says we must “transform our energy system away from polluting fossil fuels, and towards energy efficiency and sustainability.”
- Sanders, along with Senator Barbara Boxer, introduced the boldest legislation to combat climate change.
- Sanders was a major leader in the fight against the Keystone XL Pipeline.
- He has passed legislation for energy efficiency and championed proposals to move our energy system away from fossil fuels and toward sustainable energy sources like solar, wind, and biofuels.
- Bill McKibben has called Sanders “the most aggressive voice in the Senate” on climate issues.
“I AM FRIGHTENED ABOUT THE PLANET WE ARE GOING TO LEAVE OUR KIDS IF WE DON’T ACT.”
On December 5th, Sanders released his “People before Polluters” Climate Plan on his campaign website. It includes the following:
- Plans to cut U.S. carbon pollution 40% by 2030 and 80% by 2050 by placing a tax on carbon pollution, repealing fossil fuel subsidies, and making investments in energy efficiency and sustainable energy.
- Would bring the number of Americans working in clean-energy jobs to 10 million by creating a 100% clean energy system.
- Would protect low-income and minority communities, who feel the impacts of climate change hardest, while protecting existing energy-sector workers transitioning into clean energy jobs.