CBA Blue has sent out two separate communications recently.
The first was a Coordination of Benefits form to everyone in our medical plan. Since our plan is designed to coordinate payment when other insurers are liable for claims, we need to know if you or any of your covered dependents are on another medical, dental or vision plan (including other employer provided coverage, individual coverage, Medicare, etc.) in addition to our plan. EVERYONE on our health plan needs to please complete the form and return it to CBA Blue in the envelope provided or fax it to them at 888-862-7661.
The second communication from CBA Blue will be new ID cards for those with dental coverage (these are being mailed the week of 1/21/13). As was announced during Open Enrollment we are now participating in the Dental GRID. This nationwide network of dental providers will give you access to in-network dentists outside the state of Vermont. Please discard your OLD ID cards and replace them with these new ones.
If you have any questions regarding either of these communications you can contact CBA Blue at 888-222-9206 or Lisa Hoff at x3372.
Trouble-free employee benefit plan administration requires a strong partnership between employees and Human Resources. The Human Resources Dept. works diligently each year-end to accurately process the thousands of required or requested benefit record changes, and then we check and double-check our work. However, in the end, we also must rely on you, the employee, to do your part in managing your benefits by confirming that you are enrolled in the benefits you intended to elect. Please carefully review your first paycheck and let us know if you have questions or if anything seems amiss.
- If you made a change to who is covered under your medical or dental plan, new ID cards were mailed to you in December. Please confirm that you have received your new ID card(s) if you made a change to who is covered under your medical or dental plan. If you need additional cards (for example, for a child away at college) call the toll free customer service number on your ID card (1-888-222-9206).
- As was announced in November, the employee portion of the medical & dental premiums did not increase for 2013. However, any employee who made coverage (single/2 person/family) level changes should see a premium change in the first paycheck of 2013.
Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment (AD&D) Insurance
- Premiums changes related to a change in coverage amount or age-band changes (5 year increments) should be reflected in the first paycheck in 2013. If you made changes or you hit a new age band in 2012, please confirm that your premium changed.
- Requests for new Life coverage or for increases in Life coverage over the guarantee issue amount are not effective until approved by Mutual of Omaha. An Evidence of Insurability form must be submitted by you to Mutual of Omaha if you have requested this type of change. Mutual of Omaha will notify you directly of approval or denial. Any premium changes will be made as of the effective date of the approved coverage.
Flexible Spending Accounts
- 2013 elections for the Health Care and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts should be reflected in the first paycheck of 2013. Please review your pay stub and confirm that your contribution is correct (divide your total annual election by 26 to calculate your per pay-period election.)
- If you are a new Flexible Spending Account plan participant (you were not enrolled in a FSA last year) then FSA Benefits Cards were mailed to your home address in mid-December. If you had a FSA last year you will not be issued a new card as they are valid for 3 years. The Benefits Card can be used to access funds in your Health Care and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account. Important information about the FSA Benefits Card is available at http://www.middlebury.edu/offices/business/hr/staffandfaculty/benefits/flex.
- You have until March 15, 2013 to file claims against your 2012 flexible spending accounts for expenses incurred in 2012. The FSA Claim form and other helpful information on Flexible Spending Accounts can be found at http://www.middlebury.edu/offices/business/hr/staffandfaculty/benefits/flex.Please visit CBA Blue’s website at http://select.cbabluevt.com/middlebury/ to review your account information.
- If you submitted forms prior to the holiday break requesting changes to your Voluntary Retirement Plan or to enroll in the 457b Salary Deferral Supplemental Retirement Plan, your new elections should have been reflected in your first paycheck of 2013. If you requested changes please confirm that your elections are as expected.
If you have made a change to who is covered on your medical or dental plan and you have not received your new ID card(s), or if a benefit deduction doesn’t look right to you, or if you have any other questions or concerns about your benefits, please contact Human Resources as soon as possible. Thanks for doing your part to keep our benefit plans running smoothly!
Your Benefits Team,
~Lisa Hoff, Benefits Specialist (Health/Dental/Vision/Flex Spending) x3372
~Loretta Lee, Benefits Specialist (Retirement Plans & Retiree Medical/Dental) x5468
~Cheryl Mullins, Benefits & Compensation Manager x5542
Middlebury College’s Health Plan has a “Coordination of Benefits” provision that requires CBA Blue to maintain information on file regarding other insurance coverage you or your dependents may have. CBA Blue sends out a Coordination of Benefits form annually that all enrolled employees must complete to ensure proper processing of your health insurance claims. You should receive the form from CBA Blue within the next few days. Please be sure to complete it and return it to them as instructed. This form is required for all enrolled employees (even if you and your dependents do not have other insurance).